Tuesday, March 1, 2011

“You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Dear family and friends,


I got the letter. With the gift card I bought myself some sweat pants and a sweater and a beanie. It is getting cold in Whittier! This morning when we ran it was 40 degrees outside! Ha-ha, nothing compared to where Jacob is at though! Finding is slow. We’re working a lot with less active members trying to strengthen the ward and it's leading to referrals because the members trust us. We had no investigators at church but we did have some less active members there. It was great! The temple trip isn't till January.

Food of the week: We really don't need to buy any food this week because members have given us a bunch of leftovers and we will probably get more this week. What wonderful members we have. I’m so grateful for the charity they have shown to us.

Elder Yeaman’s thought of the week, “You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Explanation: When playing basketball if you never take a shot you never make a basket. If I shoot 100 times and only make 1 basket, statistically I have done better then if I didn't shoot at all. Or even 1 out of 1000 and so on. If, I as a missionary talk to 100 people I pass by on the street and only one allows us to come back and visit them, it is better then if I didn't talk to those 100 people in the first place. If, as members we try and share the gospel with 100 people we know and only 1 person takes the missionary lessons, it's better than not talking to anyone about it. Statistics are huge in sports. Most basketball players only make half of thier shots. They have like a 47% success rate. However, I personally would choose a 1% success rate over a 0% success rate. If there is no effort then there can be no improvement.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving!
Love Elder Yeaman.

No comments:

Post a Comment